Eng 300 Synthesis Writing Assignment
What is “synthesis?”
Select two (minimum) sources on your chosen narrowed topic. You will need to summarize these sources along with any other sources you plan to use in the discussion. If you wish to use an additional source for the conversation part of the task, you do not need to summarize it. You will need to include enough information in your summary paragraphs so that the reader has a good understanding of the source- *the sources don’t have to be academic*
2. Discussion/Analysis- This section can be divided into two- one on discussion one analysis or combined it is up to you and how you wish to structure your essay. Here you:
3. Join the Conversation- Here you need to become a part of the conversation, bring in something new. There are two ways of going about this:
• First, if you have personal experience within the topic you have chosen, this is where you can discuss how your experience fits in with the sources you have already discussed or show how your experience is different then what you have read, but don’t forget to show the relationship between your experience and what your sources are saying.
• Second, if you don’t have personal experience look for another source. This additional source should have some additional data that the other two sources didn’t have, or have a different approach or view of the issue that you looked at.
4. Conclusion-For the conclusion you can discuss any of the following questions/suggestions: